Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Blah blah Blogging?

What value is there in blogging?
First, blogging has the advantages that go along with any kind of logging.
  1. I can get it out. When I just have to talk about something. I can use a blog. For instance I can vent my anger about Microsoft's blatant idea theft, or the share my excitement about this great idea I just had. When I just have to tell somebody a blog is a way to do it.
  2. I can sort it out. Writing a log of an activity I've done clarifies it in my mind, making it clearer in my mind and easier to sort out.
  3. I can get it back. If I don't write it down I might forget it. Blogging allows me to retrieve these ideas that I might otherwise forget.
The web provides me with a diverse pool of people to network and interact with.
  • The fact that they exist and can come read my page. causes me to try and make sure I have something to say. I might just say something irrelevant or poorly supported among friends, but here I feel more pressure to know what I'm talking about. In return for my diligence these people out there might actually read my blog and give me valuable feedback. Networks of people commenting each others blogs, and exchanging ideas online can develop an topic far better than an isolated group of people with similar backgrounds could do in person.
  • The same point about backgrounds can apply to Christian living. While blogging is one more place where Christians can (and should) display a good testimony to other groups, it can be far more effective for Christians (especially those who have been too sheltered) to see how the rest of the world thinks.

No comments: